5 March 2018
Part-time position (1-2 days per week)**
Application deadline: March 29, 2018
Start date: May 1, 2018
Above Ground is a project of Tides Canada, a registered charity. We seek to ensure that companies based in Canada or supported by the Canadian state respect human rights wherever they operate. We seek a highly-motivated communications officer to provide support in news monitoring, media outreach and online dissemination of our key messages. Employment contract is for one year, with possibility of extension based on funding.
Key responsibility areas
– Monitor media coverage of topics relevant to Above Ground’s work
– Build and maintain a media contact list
– Assist in media outreach, including tailoring pitches to key journalists
– Develop and post content to Above Ground’s website and social media accounts
– Work within the MailChimp platform to create and distribute e-mail communiqués
– Periodically compile website, social media and e-news performance statistics
– Dependable, enthusiastic and flexible team player
– Education: degree or diploma in journalism, communications or other relevant field is a strong asset
– Minimum 2 years of experience in media relations, social media and/or web communications
– Excellent writing skills
– Demonstrated grasp of the principles of effective online communication
– Experience updating and publishing website content; knowledge of WordPress is an asset
– Experience working with Twitter and Facebook
– Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
– Experience in the non-profit and/or charitable sectors is a strong asset
– Familiarity with issues related to corporate accountability and human rights, particularly in the Canadian context, is an asset
– Proficiency in French is an asset
Salary: $50,000 – $55,000/year, pro rated, commensurate with experience plus paid vacation and 12% of earnings (in addition to salary) paid in lieu of benefits.
Hours: This is a part-time position, at 1 to 2 days (7.5 to 15 hours) per week. The number of hours for the position and work schedule will be determined in collaboration with the successful candidate prior to hiring.
** Candidates interested in more than 1 to 2 days of work per week may wish to review a part-time opportunity in communications at an organization that is closely allied with Above Ground. The possibility of working for both organizations may be explored. Please note: the positions are independent of one another, have separate recruitment and assessment processes, and will be subject to separate terms of employment. Candidates interested in both positions are encouraged to identify themselves in their cover letter. Interest in this additional opportunity is not a condition of application to the Above Ground posting.
Location: The successful candidate will work from their home office, located in Ottawa or Montreal, and will be responsible for maintaining their own telecommunication, internet and computing equipment; compensation for some office related expenses will be provided.
Application process: Please forward your resume and a one-page cover letter in a single document (with file name surname_firstname) by March 29, 2018 to Karen Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read ‘Communications Officer.’
For more information about Tides Canada, please visit:
As Above Ground is a project of Tides Canada, the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
No recruiters please.View PDF